In the winter months of January to March, when the sea is calm, the municipality of Palafrugell invites you to join it for its Garoinada festival, an experience for all the senses, with sea urchin as the star of the show. If you’ve never tried it, you’re in for a true taste of the sea! With an intense flavour and soft texture, garoina or sea urchin is a typical product of the rocky Mediterranean coast, which is harvested throughout the winter months until the start of spring.
The local hotels and restaurants offer a variety of weekend getaway packages to make the most of Garoinada season in Palafrugell, which include a tasting menu and an overnight stay in one of the hotels. The getaway is complemented by an additional activity, with a choice of enjoying a coastal tour on a classic sailing boat or a guided hike with a local expert on hand to tell you more about the area.
All packages also include:
– A book of tickets that allows you to visit the municipality’s various cultural facilities (Josep Pla Foundation, Vila Casas Can Mario Foundation, Cork Museum and Cap Roig Botanical Garden).
– Admission to the Palafrugell municipal swimming pool.
– A discount voucher to spend at campaign sponsors, Vins i Licors Grau wine store.
– Restaurants: L’Arc, La Xicra and Xadó (Palafrugell); Bellacosta, El Far, La Llagosta, Llafranc and Terrassa Terramar (Llafranc); and El Balcó de Calella, El Càntir and Les Voltes de Calella by Es Portal (Calella).
– Hotels : Can Liret and Casa Peya (Palafrugell); Alga and Sant Roc (Calella); and El Far and Llafranc (Llafranc).*
The Garoinada menu, which varies each year, consists of a sea urchin entrée, a main dish of “”catxoflino”” (a surf ‘n’ turf dish) or alternative and a citrus dessert. All accompanied by water, wine from the Espelt de l’Empordà winery and coffee.
* Subject to change every year.